RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

What are the requirements to change a childs name

My ex husband died in a crash. My new husband has adopted my son, who is 8 and his last name needs to be changed to reflect my new last name.

Thanks for your question. You can file a petition for a name change of your minor child. This isn't all that complicated. You just put into the petition the facts here of the adoption. They will set the matter for hearing. If this is brought by both you and the adopted dad there would be no one here you would need to have to served.

You would have a brief hearing in front of the judge and the judge would grant the name change. They would then forward the order to viatal staitstics and correct the birth certificate. The clerk at the time of the hearing will give you information about ordering an amended birth certificate reflecting the name change.

You may need to obtain a lawyer to assist you here. This isn't complicated but it does need to be completed correctly here. Good luck to you...