Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I received a settlement from a lawsuit from an injury while ...

I received a settlement from a lawsuit from an injury while my wife & I have ex-parte's against each other & I've filed the suit for divorce & she has counter filed before the settlement was received. Is she entitled to any of it? I live in Missouri.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
According to research [see below] in Missouri personal injury claims and proceeds coming from a personal injury settlement is considered a marital property subject to distribution upon a divorce, so yes she is has a claim to your settlement.

Personal injury claims and proceeds.

An unliquidated claim for damages arising from personal injury during the marriage is marital property for purposes of the dissolution of marriage proceeding. Jobe v. Jobe, 708 S.W. 2d 322 (Mo.App. S.D. 1989). The proceeds of a personal injury settlement received by one of the parties during the marriage are marital, Zimmer v. Zimmer, 770 S.W. 2d 514 (Mo. App., W.D. 1989) (annuity settlement); Nixon v.Nixon, 525 S.W. 2d 835 (Mo. App., E.D. 1975)(lump sum settlement proceeds); including proceeds from actions under "FELA," the Federal Employers' Liability Act (45 U.S.C. Sections 51 et seq.). Gonzalez v. Gonzalez, 689 S.W. 2d 383 (Mo. App. E.D. 1985)...divorcenet.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.