legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

Can I file for child support while still married and living ...

Can I file for child support while still married and living in the same household as my spouse? We are headed for a divorce, but I can''t afford to get my own place and take care of my three children. My spouse refuses to leave, but won''t help in supporting the children. He doesn''t buy food, clothes, shoes, etc. How can I get help?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
Yes, you can file for custody and request a support amount be established even if you are living together. You will need to show your income and his and the monthly bills and evidence that he is not contributing. You can also file the divorce petition and get an order that he must leave the residence during the pendancy of the divorce and custody cases. If you can not afford an attorney first look for legal aid in your city and you can also go to the county court house website and see if they have any do it yourself forms for divorce and custody issues.