Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.

My ex-husband is relocating to Colorado from Alabama. I ...

My ex-husband is relocating to Colorado from Alabama. I currently live in Geogia with our 16 year old son. Can he demand that our son visit him everyother weekend once he moves. He can obtain free flights as he works for an airline ( not a pilot)?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

As long as there is a court order providing for the visitation, he can enforce it. If you feel the current visitation is unreasonable, you have the ability to go back into court and petition for a modification of the visitation order. You can explain why you feel the current visitation is excessive given the move. (I feel tired just thinking about it. I can not imagine the strain that this travel could have on a 16 year old.) Your ex-husband will have the chance to respond. The judge will review the arguments and the evidence, and make a ruling that is in the best interests of your son.

At this point, your son is also old enough to have input in the case, if this amount of travel concerns him, you can point this out to the court.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!