Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My two daughters have decided that they would like to live ...

My two daughters have decided that they would like to live with their father. They have moved and he has filed suit to have the parent child relationship modified. I understand my obligation to pay child support and am more than willing. I am raising two other children from my present marriage and have another child on the way. I work part time and my net income is $587.33 a month. When I use the online child support calculator my monthly payment is $107.34. My ex husband said his lawyer says the minimum child support payment in Texas is $200.00 a month. Is that true? If we do end up in court will the judge take into account the other children I am raising?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Child support in Texas is based on the net monthly income. The basic child support guideline for Texas for two children is 25% of your net monthly income. That would be $146.83 per month by my calculations. This is the basic guideline under the law and the court has the discretion to go up or down in awarding more based on the circumstances. Your other children and the new baby will also be factored in the decision to whether increase support or not.

So it appears that your ex must have obtained a rough estimate from his lawyer which he believes is the minimum.

You can review the Texas child support guideline here, page 9 tells you the percentage that will be considered from your net monthly income.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: So there is no state mandated minimum of $200?
The state rules are those found in the guidelines I provided. There is nothing about a $200 mimimum.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator