Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

Hello, My nephews mother, ( my sister ) is deceased. His ...

Hello, My nephews mother, ( my sister ) is deceased. His father and her were never married. The father is drug dependant, soon to be homeless, ( eviction ) and is willing to sign over custodial rights tome. What exactly is necessary in order to accomplish this. He is currently in a drug treatment facility.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
In general, he would need to sign an affidavit of voluntarily relinquishment of parental rights, there is a court hearing set for the judge to go over what his rights to his son and what happens when they are relinquished. It is possible that child protective services can get involved once the child is freed from adoption as he can be considered a ward from the state. From there the child is freed up for adoption and you can proceed in adopting the child. If you are working with the attorney, the attorney can draft the affidavit for him to sign and then do the private adoption.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.