RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .

A few years ago, due to issues with my father, I changed my ...

A few years ago, due to issues with my father, I changed my name in Louisiana. Some time after a former girlfriend got warrants out for my arrest in Maryland and Massachusetts because she said I sent her unwanted emails(apparently you can get warrants out for that). However, the warrants were issued in my first name, not my second, because she was not aware I had changed my name.

Now, still living in Louisiana, I want to change my name back to my original name. Would I be able to do this with warrants being out for my original name in Maryland and Massachusetts? And if I could change my name back, would there be any consequences?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You can certainly try and file for a name change. You may have to convince the court why you want to go back to origianal name. Once the name is XXXXX XXXXX may very well pick you up for the warrants.

Usually what happens is the warrants are in the national data base and if you get pulled over for a traffic stop and they are in there you get taken into custody. You never know whether these warrants remain outstanding so you won't ever know for sure.

You could always fess up to the authorities where the warrants are and settle up with them on the charges. That way you wouldn't be looking over your shoulder on this matter for the rest of your life. At any rate I hope this gives you information in this matter and good luck to you...

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Warrants are in a national database? You can't be charged in Louisiana for, for example, an unpaid traffic ticket in Maryland or Massachusetts, can you?

Would Maryland and Massachusetts extradite somebody for a warrant filed because a complaint somebody made? Or would this cause me not to be able to change my name back? Or would I be arrested on the spot, in court, after I changed my name back?
Thats always the question. Usually they pick you up to see if the other state will transport you or not. Traffic tickets as opposed to parkign tickets may vrey well be active. thye may or may not extradite on a warrant. My answer would be that it is a long shot but I wouldn't say it never happens. The judge wouldn't know about warrants and it woudl be after that they might pull you over someday, not an immediate kind of thing..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You're saying the judge in the name change case in Louisiana wouldn't know about the warrants in Massachusetts and Maryland? What happens in a name change petition. Don't they do a check to see if you have warrants out in any other state?
They would not check for warrants in a name change case. The problem here is if you change back there are prior warrants in the old name that they may find someday when you get stopped or pulled over. The court might wonder in general why you want to change back and they may have questions you have to satisfy before they grant the change.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They don't check for warrants in a name change case? What if, having never changed my name before, and having a Louisiana liscense I wanted to change my name in Louisiana but I had warrants out for my arrest in several other states. The judge would allow you to change your name?

If this was the case then every criminal would just commit a crime in a state that they did not have an i.d. in and then just change their name....If Jeffrey Dahmer lived in one state he would just commit crimes in another and then change his name...

What kind of background procedure goes on if someone wants to change their name?
In general you are going to have to have a good solid reason to get a name change. They aren't necessarily given out willy/nilly. A good reason might be that your father abandoned you and you don't want his name becasue he didn't help raise you, etc. The judge can question you as long as he wants, he could if he wnated to do a background check or require you to. It isn't done on a routine basis. LAw enforcement relies as much on fingerprints/dna to identify people because peoepl just lie a lot or use alias names, hence the reference aka. The police always list known aka's of people. I can't promise that they wouldn't check but routinely it isn't done...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually, I think in Louisiana it is done, because they send it to the DAs office before the judge approves it. I would think that the only reason they do that is to do some kind of background check....????
They could well have decided that it was appropriate and it makes sense in this day and age. I'm wondering if you really want to do this, it's like looking for trouble...
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .