Family Expert
Family Expert, Lawyer
Experience:  25 Years

What are the Nebraska rules on guardianship. Since my ...

What are the Nebraska rules on guardianship. Since my grandarughter wants to move out when she turns 17 in July, you said that she can't be emancipated easily in Ne. but what are the guardianship laws. Do we continue guardianship at age 19 or is there a way to end guardianship since she wants to be on her own and away from us. She is very resentful to us and to put in nicely--very argumentative and says she will not be happy until we let her go. We have a bipolar diagnosis on her but she refuses medication and counseling, and we are at witts end. Since she constantly argues about leaving, I need that legal answers to how to let her on her own and how to do it through guardianship, etc.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Expert replied 8 years ago.

You should simply file a petitionin the Court that granted guardianship, to end the guardianship and state the reasons.

Also, if I was you I would contact the Dept of Child services -- or whatever its called in Nebraska -- and get them involved as well - shemay need commitment to get her meds regulated and it would be a shame if that was the problem and it wasn't attended to.

All the best,