legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

My husband and I are separating. He wants to stay in the ...

My husband and I are separating. He wants to stay in the house (rented) and I move out to an apartment. We have a two year old daughter that will move between us equally. I want to make sure, if we end up having to divorce, that I''m not doing anything wrong that will effect the outcome of custody of our daughter if I move out of the house. Our daughter would stay with him one night in the house, me in the apt next night.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
If you do end up divorcing in the future, your moving out now will not make any difference. The fact that you are working out a fair custody arrangement while separated will only help when you file for joint custody as part of your divorce. Now unless you are wanting sole custody with only limited visitation for the father, your arragnement is very mature and in the best interest of your daughter.