Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

if two people have a chld and never got married or never ...

Customer Question

if two people have a chld and never got married or never attended court for custody or visitation. Who is granted custody by the oklahoma state law
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
In an unmarried situation the mother is considered to be the only parent with sole legal custody. The father has no legal rights until he either signs a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity form to have his name added on the birth certificate or he petitions to establish paternity with the courts. Otherwise, only mom has sole legal custody in an unmarried situation. This applies to Oklahoma law.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.