How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. My name isXXXXX and I live in ...

Customer Question

Hello. My name isXXXXX and I live in Lafourche Parish in Louisiana. My first wife died when my daughter was two years old, and her maternal grand-mother sued me for grandparent''s rights. In order to avoid hard feelings in the family I agreeed to give her more rights then most divorced parents. Alt weekends and holidays. This went on for the last twelve years. I am about to be married again and my daughter and her grand-mother presuaded me to allow her to move in over there and we agreed to this and a judge signed off to that effect. At the time of the agreement I made known that I would not agree to this unless it was know that since I raised my daughter for the last twelve without and support from her grand-mother that no support should be received from me in this matter. Now after the judgement the grand-mother has filed for support through the state. Is there anyway that I can fight this support request and win? I am tired of being taken for a fool.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.


Did your "no support" position appear in a written agreement or on the record in court? Did the grandmother agree?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The non support was not in the court papers it was a verbal agreement between the grand-mother her lawyer and myself and my fiancee'
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

The agreement was oral. You can defend with your testimony about it. Count on the grandmother denying the conversation entirely. It is frankly an uphill fight for you since it is not in the decree. You would have to have the greater credibility and still, the judge will probably rely on the letter of the decree. He/she will however, decide the application on its own merits.



This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: So is there nothing more i can do to fight this and win?

Related Family Law Questions