ExperiencedParalegal
ExperiencedParalegal, Paralegal
Experience:  9YearsExperience
9066835

My husband asks me for a divorce. We have 2 children ...

My husband asks me for a divorce. We have 2 children together, 9 and 3. Do we have to hire a lawyer? There is no dispute between us. We are in Texas. Thanks!!!
Dear XXXXXzhou:

You are not required to hire an attorney, if you so choose not to. You or your husband may obtain the paperwork to file for a divorce from the courts. The clerks can not give legal advice, but they can certainly give you the forms. You may start the divorce and you always have the option to hire an attorney down the road, if you so choose.

Here is a website that I think may help you. There are also on line articles on questions you may have about divorce in the State of Texas.

http://nofaultdiv.com/

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should need anything further.

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your response! Could you please give me some info. about the process? I am a little scared because I have no clue at all. Thank you!!!
Dear XXXXXzhou:

You are welcome. Right now you do need to do your homework and just do some reading on Texas laws. Please let me know exactly what you need to know about or what is concerning you and I will answer. There are a lot of different areas in divorce. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My husband gave me some forms to fill out and sign. He said as soon as we file the form in court, we will be divorced. Is that true? I know I should do some homework, but he does not want to give me time. Thanks!
Dear XXXXXzhou:

It is hard for me to say because I can not see what it in front of you. Also, I do not know all the issues in your case. Do not fill out anything until you are sure. It is of the utmost importance that you do your homework if you are getting divorced without an attorney.

Some major issues that need to be addressed, if applicable, are as follows: alimony, child custody, child placement, visitation schedules, child support, asset and debt division. Assets may include: marital home, any other real estate, bank accounts, vehicles, stocks, 401K, IRA's, ect. Debts may include: who is to pay for: car payments, mortgage, credit card debt, student loans, home equity lines, ect.

As you can see there are a lot of issues that can arise during a divorce. Another alternative would be for you to have an attorney review the documents that you have.

Here is a website that I think will answer a lot of questions you may have.

http://family-law.freeadvice.com/divorce_law/texas-divorce-resources.htm
http://family-law.freeadvice.com/divorce_law/72/

I hope this helped. I just do not want you to sign anything just because you feel pressured.

Let me know anything further you may need.

Sincerely,
Jessica
ExperiencedParalegal

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Jessica, thank you so much for your advice!!! This will be the best $30 I have spent. I will do my homework now. Thanks!