ADillon, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years of experience in litigation

I am a US citizen and Florida resident. I was having a ...

I am a US citizen and Florida resident. I was having a relationship with a woman who lives in Colombia. I broke it off with her a month ago. Now, though I used protection, she says that she is pregnant - it is possible for reasons that I won't go into here. She is not sure but she is saying that she wants to getan abortion...and I am willing to pay for that. But, if she doesn't get an abortion, what is my legal liability?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ADillon replied 8 years ago.

Hello. I am sorry that you are in this situation.

Your case presents an unusual twist in that the child will be in Colombia. I have skimmed the Florida rules and the laws in this area generally. You should be held only to the Florida laws on this issue. (I.e., you are not subject to jurisdiction by Colombian courts.) Under Florida law, you could be held liable for child support. The mother could sue you in Florida to get an order of child support. The child support would be determined based on a number of factors, including your earnings, the mother's earnings, and the cost of raising the child (presumably in Colombia).

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this. If not, then please click "accept" so that I may receive credit for this response.