CALawyer
CALawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  California Family Law Attorney
2669768

A VOIDED DIVORCE

CAN I FILE A VOIDED DEVIORCE OVER A REGYLAR ONE THAT SHE HAS ON FILE. THER ARE 30 MORE DAYS TO WAIT ON IT AND MY LAAWYER WANTS TO HAVE DISCOVERY AND THIS AND THAT AND A TON OF MONEY MORE. WHY CAN''T I FILE THIS ONE HAVE HER SERVED AND THWEN GO TO COURT. THERE IS NO WAITING PEROID ON A VOID DECREE. I CHECK WITH VITALS IN EVERY COUNTY SHE LIVED IN AND NO DIVORCE DCREE ON FILE FOR THEM. I CALLED HIS PARENTS AND THEY SENT AN EMAIL SAYING THAT THEY THOUGHT HE WAS STILL MARRIED TO HER.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 8 years ago.
You could probably file a nullity petition in the same case or amend your answer to her divorce petition to allege that the marriage was a nullity.

However, much of the legal process for a nullity petition is the same.
There would still likely be discovery and a trial.

You may ask your attorney about whether you could amend your answer to the petition and seek an annulment instead of divorce.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you need any clarification, just post a reply. Thanks!