Leslie D.
Leslie D., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience in family law, abuse and assault victim advocate
8605905

I have been married for 5 weeks . I already know it was a ...

I have been married for 5 weeks . I already know it was a big mistake . We had been dating for 8 months on and off before . She has no assets , and 1 child from a previous marriage . I have assets and two children from previous marriage . There is nothing in her name . We had no agreements prior to marriage . What are my potential liabilities ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Any property that you or your wife acquired after the marriage will be marital property and is subject to distribution in a divorce. Any property that you owned separately before the marriage will be non-marital property and will not be subject to distribution. Therefore, the assets you owned prior to the marriage will not be subject to distribution in a divorce.

Since this was a very short marriage, it is highly unlikely that you would be required to pay any kind of alimony. Alimony is generally the exception to the rule now, anyway, but even if circumstances justifying alimony exist (if your wife does not have a job, etc.) it is unlikely that alimony will be awarded because the marriage was so short. Alimony is typically only awarded where there is a long-term marriage and one partner has stayed at home as a homemaker, stay-at-home parent, etc.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my answer.

Thanks,

Leslie