Family Expert
Family Expert, Lawyer
Experience:  25 Years

Can my husband divorce me without my knowledge about it (he ...

Customer Question

Can my husband divorce me without my knowledge about it (he just withdraw/ wrote a check for $5K for some unknown to me people/firm...Stern and Eldin...)?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Expert replied 8 years ago.

No, he should not be able to divorce you without you knowing about it. He will have to file papers in court to divorce you and those papers will have to be given ("served") to you and you will then have an opportunity to file your own papers in court to respond, and you will have the right to an attorney to represent you in court and make sure that you receive all of the rights you are entitled to plus you will have the right to make sure your husband provides for you financially. So, do not worry about a "secret" divorce. You can study the divorce laws in Georgia here:

All the best,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you...
I'd like to ask your opinion (from your experience) about alimony...I've already talk to one of the experts here -he told me that I have a right to ask for a lifetime support (suggested to start from 20% of my husband income) but my husband refuses even to hear about it...(The short version of our "story": we are married for 27 years, raised 2 children, 18 y.a. we came as refuges from ex-communist country to Canada, my husband started to work for U.S company there & 5 yearslater got transferred to Michigan... I didn't have right for the employment for the next 4 years while waiting for green card..Then my husband lost his job and 7y.a.found another one in Georgia..I couldn't find a proper job for myself (I'm a chemist)for about 6 years..Woked a little bit in TJMaxx and in a public library -both times only part time...We both have MSc level of education. He works for well-established company and have $110K salary. I started to work 1 year ago for small and very unstable company for $38K and is about to loose my job. I'm not established as a specialist, I lack skills and experience, my conversational English is bad...I spent all those years serving my family, as a housewife. Last September my husband announced that he wants to divorce but never took any actions... I learned just couple of months ago that he has an affers at least since last summer, spending a lot money and practically living with this woman -she is in Canada and he has a project over there and now not coming here even for weekends...All this time I brought my salary into our joint account...It looks all this time he used me to help him to pay mortgage($1800/month) and debts... ($50K)...He is offering to take care of all debts, sell the house, split everything in half...but if loose my job in a month - I'm not sure how I'm going to survive and where... He claims that according to his lawyer I'll never get lifetime support or any...What do you think?

I would not listen to what he says about what his lawyer says - he is just trying to intimidate you. You need to get good lawyer for yourself and listen to your lawyer! With all of those years as his wife and raising his children athome you should do very, very well in the alimony department - there is no question that your husband intends to fight you on this every step of the way so it is very important that you seek good legal counsel for yourself at the earlliest chance you have. I am confident that you will do well. This is a very difficult time for you, so you need a good lawyer and you need tobe courageous and keep your faith that you will come out fine.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you!!!

welcome ;o)