Leslie D.
Leslie D., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience in family law, abuse and assault victim advocate

i pay upport on my 2 kids now 17 and 18. the 18 year

i pay upport on my 2 kids now 17 and 18. the 18 year old moved out and quit school about 9 months ago i pay 100.00 a child. how do i get her off now. thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 8 years ago.

In South Carolina, child support generally ends automatically when a child reaches 18 or graduates from high school. Are you still making the payments on your own account, or are they being garnished from your wages? If they are being garnished, you may want to contact your local child support office, because this may have been done in error.

In accordance with the above, South Carolina's domestic relations code requires that parents pay support for their "minor" children, so upon reaching the age of majority (18 in South Carolina), child support obligations should end.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
went to court yesterday for being 500. behind i informed judge about her and he said quote get a lawyer
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 8 years ago.

If they have not terminated the obligation automatically, then you can file a petition to terminate child support, and show the court that she is 18 and not in school. You can get a lawyer to represent you in this matter and you may want to do so as a lawyer can guide you in filing, preparing pleadings, and requesting that the court forgive the $500 since this obligation should have been terminated.

If you are living on a low income, you may qualify for free or low-cost legal services. This website provides links to some organizations which provide free or low cost legal services to those in need:

Please let me know if you need any additional help!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks sorry i di not get back sooner i had to go to work.