Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

After a 20 year marriage and a settlement that stated that ...

After a 20 year marriage and a settlement that stated that the alimony due to be paid to me until I''m 65 would continue unless I remarried, it was just terminated because I live with my boyfriend even though I have maintained completely separate finances and we share no assets of any kind. In making the determination on the case, the judge sited that my ex-husband had signed away his interest in our home and therefore won''t reap any benefit from the fact that it has esclated in value since we divorced 10 years ago as an additional reason for terminating the alimony. I received the home and the lump sum alimony in exchange for agreeing not to pursue my interest in my ex''s company which proved to be extremely valuable, but that point wasn''t brought up in court. My ex-husband''s salary is 5 times more than mine and now because of this termination I can no longer afford to stay in my home without my boyfriend''s assistance plus,I have attorney fees. Can I ask my ex to pay the legal costs?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Typically legal costs are granted if you win your case. Since he won his case it is unlikely the courts would grant you the judgment for legal fees. You can try, the fact is it is up to the judge if he should be required to pay your legal fees in the case.

Walter