Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

my husband owes back child support and I am trying to buy a ...

my husband owes back child support and I am trying to buy a home in my name only. His ex wife just filed a civil petition against him. How does it work if I own a home? Can she take my home. We have been married a little over a year. Please advise
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
His child support debt is his separate property and you are not responsible for this debt.

However, property acquired during the marriage, even in your sole name is XXXXX XXXXX martial asset unless the funds you are using to purchase the home is your separate property (such as from a gift or inheritance). So even if the home you are buying is in your sole name, since the property was acquired during the marriage, the ex-wife can argue that the home is a marital asset and can be attached to pay off the arrears. Further, if his income is to contribute to the purchase of the home, the ex-wife can argue that his contributions have made the home a martial asset. So it is possible that a judgment lien can be attached to your home.

However enforcement for child support generally consists of garnishing his wages or intercepting his taxes, attaching a lien on property is typically something done when wage withholding is ineffective.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.