How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you adopt a child that is not yours and you take ...

Customer Question

How do you adopt a child that is not yours and you take care of the mother and the child, and the father of the child does not but still wants to see his child and do nothing for the child.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

In order to adopt a child that is not yours while the biological father is still alive, you must go before the court. You must petition the court for adoption. Stepparent adoptions generally require the biological father's consent. In limited circumstances the judge has the discretion to order the adoption if he finds that the father has abused, neglected or abandoned the child.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!



Related Family Law Questions