Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.

How do you adopt a child that is not yours and you take ...

Customer Question

How do you adopt a child that is not yours and you take care of the mother and the child, and the father of the child does not but still wants to see his child and do nothing for the child.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In order to adopt a child that is not yours while the biological father is still alive, you must go before the court. You must petition the court for adoption. Stepparent adoptions generally require the biological father's consent. In limited circumstances the judge has the discretion to order the adoption if he finds that the father has abused, neglected or abandoned the child.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!