Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My 15 year old daughter keeps running away. The state of ...

Customer Question

My 15 year old daughter keeps running away. The state of oregon doesn''t have any laws to support parents in this matter. she shows up with her boyfriend and his dad when my other 2 kids are home alone and terrorizes them when she is able to get into the house. I need to know if there is a way to make her no longer able to come on my property as the younger kids my wife and I all fear for their safety when we can''t be here. and the local police told me that since she is technically still a resident of our household she can invite whoever she wants into my house (even the 300 pound dad of her boyfriend)... I am at wits end. it seems like there is almost no help from the police here.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Unfortunately, it appears the child taking advantage of the fact that the police are being lenient in handling the situation. In general the parents are legally responsible for their minor children. You do have the right to press charges upon the boyfriend and his father for the harassment or disorderly behavior they engage when they come into your property. It is one thing for her to invite guests to come over, but it is another thing to allow criminal behavior from taking place inside your property (harassment or other abuse).

Since this is your home, you have the right to change the locks and not give her the key, but allow her entry upon the property (only her not the others). In addition your other children are not required to allow her to enter the property with these other people while they are home alone and should be taught to call the police if the boyfriend and father become hostile while they are outside the property.

Unfortunately emancipation will not work here, unless she is 16 and able to financially support herself. Only if you are able to press charges against the boyfriend and father for the harassment towards you and your two other children, will you be able to get a criminal no-contact order, which would restrict them from coming onto your property.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: is there any recourse in the fact that she is staying with her 14 year old boyfriend and his father and brother, and from what I can tell the father seems to be condoning underage sexual relations.
Thank you for your reply and accept.

1) In Oregon the age of consent is 18. This means that both children can be criminally liable for statutory rape. It is possible that the father can be liable for negligence in condoning this as well as for contributing to the delinquency of both minors. If this applies, you can be able to press charges on the boyfriend and then get a criminal no contact order against the boyfriend to approach your daughter. Unfortunately your daughter may also face criminal charges for the statutory rape.

2) In Oregon harboring a runaway is also a crime, so the father can be criminally liable for allowing shelter of your daughter. Again, if prosecuted you can get a criminal no-contact order to stop the father from having contact with your daughter.