Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I live in MA, my ex-husband lives in NH, I have 1 child ...

I live in MA, my ex-husband lives in NH, I have 1 child with him that he pays child support, he is currently going thru a divorce with his present wife - they have 2 kids - will that affect my child support at all? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
In general it should not affect your child support. Typically, when there are multiple child support orders in the picture, the amount of your first child support is deducted from the calculation of the second child support order and the second order would be based on the income he has available with his present wife. In essence his income that was used for your child support is left untouched (set aside) and the new order is based on his balance of his income to generate a new support order. So your child's support should not be affected. Of course this is all based on guidelines and the particular needs of the children.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research/educational use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.