How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JENN Your Own Question
JENN, Paralegal
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 184
Experience:  I have a B.A. in Business Management. I spent 6 years as a paralegal.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JENN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was married in Las Vegas Nevada. Can I legally

Resolved Question:

" i was married in Las Vegas Nevada. Can I legally get divorced there if not a resident? This divorce is agreed upon and not contested.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JENN replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more? How long have you lived in Las Vegas and where exactly is your residence?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer's Post: My wife and I were married in Las Vegas in May 1995. We have been separated for 7 years and both live in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have provided all support for her for the last seven years and agreed that I would provide this support through the end of 2008 and then she would support herself. We are still in agreement of this and want to obtain a legal divorce.
Expert:  JENN replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer

Just because you got married in Las Vegas doesn't mean that you have to get divorced in Las Vegas. To get married in Las Vegas, of the party needs to a resident of that State for at least 90 days. Since you all have resided in Missouri for 12 years, you are officially a resident of Missouri (congratulations?).

If the marriage is broken (which is obvious by the description) and it can not be repaired then the dissolution is the proper process. A divorce primarily is a method of terminating a marriage, which is essentially, a contract between two individuals. From a legal standpoint, a divorce will give each person the legal right to marry someone else, divide the couple's assets and debts and determine the future care and custody of their children (if you have any).

In order to file for a "Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in Missouri", you or your spouse must meet the strict residency requirements. These requirements permit the court to have jurisdiction of your case, resulting in allowing you to use their judicial system. One party must be a resident of the state of Missouri, or is a member of the armed services who has been stationed in Missouri for 90 days.

You or your spouse must file a petition with the county you live in because that county will have jurisdiction in your dissolution. In Missouri, the marriage has be irretrievable before the Court can grant the divorce. When you file the petition, you will have a hearing date. When you or your spouse appear at the hearing, one or both of you must present the evidence that the marriage is infinitely broken. This could be documents, witnesses, an affadavit from the both of you, etc.

You could hire a divorce attorney or do it yourself, PRO SE to file the Petition. Here is the information that I found most helpful for being a PRO SE (Self-Representation):

Here's the reference on the Missouri statues for the dissolution of marriage (divorce).

I hope this advice helps - thank you for asking and have a great day!

JENN and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions