Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I am supposed to take a paternity test tomorrow for a child ...

I am supposed to take a paternity test tomorrow for a child I may have fathered 9 years ago. I am married and have a 3 month old with my wife. Am I required to pay back child support for a child I didn''t ven know was mine?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

According to the Virginia support profiles, a man who has not been declared the legal father of a child should not be responsible for retroactive child support. Retroactive support would only be ordered if the mother had obtained government assistance, otherwise, child support would begin on the date the child support order is issued.

You can review the profile [starting as section 14 here to section 15]

Lastly, the court does have the discretion to order that you pay for any prenatal expenses that the mother incurred which is a separate issue than the child support one.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research/educational use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.