RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT A CHILD I AM PERMANENT GUARDIAN TO I ...

I WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT A CHILD I AM PERMANENT GUARDIAN TO I HAVE HAD HER FOR 17 MONTHS NOW AND MOTHER HAS NOT HAD NORE SHOWN ANY INTEREST UNTIL NOW THAT SHE IS IN PRISON AND SENTECE TO 8 YEARS FOR SELLING DRUGS. DO I HAVE A CHANCE IN HAVING HER PARENTAL RIGHTS RELINQUISHED.I LIVE IN ILLINOIS
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question. You may have grounds for termination in this matter. you probably need to obtain a lawyer to file a petition to do so. It sounds like the mother has shown little interest in this matter to date and has not been a very good mother.

The court would require you to prove up neglect and un involvement with the child and to show that it is in the best interest of the child to terminate the parental rights. There also may be the issue of non support if she has not contributed anything.

If you feel that this is the best thing for you and the child I would urge you to proceed in this matter. Often you will find that parents like this tend to drop in and out of the child's lives, like a long lost cousin that comes by for a once every two years visit and that really messes with the kids minds and makes it even harder for people like you who are doing the day to day raising of the child. I hope this gives you some ideas in this matter and good luck to you..

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would the adoption and safe family act of 1997 be implemented in our case. the child in question is 2yrs old she was taken by dcfs because her mother abandoned her at a party and never returned. she was indicated with niglect, abandonment, and abuse. but the child was never filed with the state because she was handed to the grandfather who inturn gave her to us. we did go through the background check and home inspection by dcfs. but that was all we do not recieve any subsidies at all. around a year ago the court granted us permenant guardianship. and no we have never recieved any money nor visits from the mom.
You would have grounds for termination. The act you refer to only applies to reunifying children with families where the child is in foster care. If you had been a foster placement then it woud have applied but in this situation it is strictly you bringing the action to terminate the parents rights...