How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40019
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 60 year old, married, grandmother of a 16 year old ...

Resolved Question:

I am a 60 year old, married, grandmother of a 16 year old granddaughter. Her mother, my 40 year old daughter, and I have had a long standing dysfunctional relationship. Yesterday, I was served with papers, informing me that my daughter has issued a petition for an order of protection against me. The issues on which she bases this petition are untrue. I have 7 days to ''answer'' this petition or can just wait and appear in court on April 14. My daughter is, in my opinion, bi-polar, and very unstable. I can give details about the situation, but will not take time here unless someone is interested. I guess my basic question is, what do I do in response to this petition? If the things listed in this petition are indeed untrue and if I can prove them to be so, do I have any recourse against my daughter WITHOUT involving my granddaughter? (My daughter says I coerced my granddaughter and her friends into doing things and lieing and neither of those charges are true). Other severe chares are als
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the question. Attached you will find a web page with information about the process. You can just appear with witnesses to contest the allegations. Your only recourse is to contest the petition.

If you feel more comfortable refuting the matter in writing then you can file a written response in the matter. You have the petition with the cause number and can file it with the court before the hearing. You can also do both and present witnesses. I sympathize here with your situation. You might also consider obtaining an attorney to represent you in this matter. I hope this information gives you guidance in this matter..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.


RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions