Dan, Retired Lawyer
Experience:  Practice areas included family law, elder law, real estate, and transactions

i live in louisiana and i want to give up my rights to my ...

Customer Question

i live in louisiana and i want to give up my rights to my child and i dont want to pay for child support anymore and how can i do that and the child is 5 yrs old
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.

You basically can't do what you are asking about. The action you suggest requires a court petition and a court hearing, and that judge would have to make a ruling that allowing you to get out of your child support obligations is in the "best interests of the child". Note, it is the best interests of the child, and not your best interests, that the courts must protect and care about. And removing a possible source of financial support is not in the child's best interest.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But the law doesn't always let you do what you want.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any followup questions. If none, please remember to click on the ACCEPT link so that I may receive credit for working on this topic with you. (I'd greatly appreciate it!)

Thank you,

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

PS: If an answer appears to you to have been very helpful, or to have taken above average expertise, and/or research, or if the answer shows an above average amount of time and dedication devoted to your issue, a bonus is nice way to say "Thank you". Thanks!