RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Can my salary be garnished for past Alimony?

I''m a Merchant Marine, the court of Maryland ordered Child Support and Alimony 10 years ago monies from Tax refunds and garnishing my pay was taken to pay for alimony and child support. The Child support is now paid off. Can the garnishing of my pay continue? even though I do not work in the state nor is the company that I''m employed with is registered in the state of the court order
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question. If the only issue is alimony then it depends on what state the company and you are a resident of. Texas for instance doesn't allow for garnishment for alimony. Other states are different.

If your state allows garnishment of wages-that is the state that you are a resident of allows garnishment for alimony then yes if they pursue to record the matter as an out of state judgement and ask for garnishment. The garnishment of tax refunds should be over as well unless somehow this all was lumped together.

You might want to review the order to see if they divided this out in amounts for alimony as separate from the support. Support in general has many more remedies available to collectors than does alimony. I hope this answers the questions and gives you some ideas in this matter..

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live in the state of Florida, the child support and alimony was an order from the state of Maryland. My job payroll is from north Carolina. I would like to know. What are the laws specifically and how do they affect my case?

Most states including Florida allow for garnishment for child support. Here is a web a page with other things the state can do to you for back support. The alimony might be recordedas ajudgement and they might try creditor type remedies such as crdit bureay, abstract the judgement, etc..

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/childsupport/enforcement.html