RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I am 73, retired on Social Security and company ...

I am 73, retired on Social Security and company pension, about 42400/month. I have been paying alimony (currently $366/month) for over 16 years on a marriage on a marriage that lasted 12 years. My ex-wifes father was a multi-millionaire who left hid family well off and she has access to much more money than I. Can I get the alimony stopped because it is becoming a hardship? How do I set about this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question. In general you can file to revisit spousal support that has been awarded to an ex spouse. This sounds like a long and high amount. I'm assuming that his was a situation at the time where your ex was a housewife and non working or there were other circumstances.

You can certainly try and revisit this matter in the court in which it was awarded and cite changed circumstances. It may very well be that your ex is in a different financial state as are you and that this amount is no longer appropriate. You may need to obtain a lawyer to represent you in this matter and assert your position.

This would allow the court to hear your arguments about this change in both of your financial circumstances and possibly end/reduce the amount. I hope that you will do this, you don't have a lot to loose here, its either that or keep paying to stay in compliance with the court's earlier orders. Good luck to you in this matter..

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Thank you for the response. Is it possible for me to do this on my own, or with paralegal help? A $2000 retainer with a probability of the final total being much higher seemed a bit steep. I had heard that once the alimony had been paid as long as the mariage lasted, it was pretty much a slam-dunk, especially since she has never worked since we divorced, nor did she need to because of help from her family. What are your thoughts?

I think you have a lot at stake here financially. I wouldn't mess around with this on my own. She has history on her side as far as you paying all these years, you have retirement and change of circumstance based on her own financial well being. I think it is worth the money and this is not unreasonable. Perhaps a lawyer may negotiate a settlement to end this matter short of a hearing. They are good at these kinds of things...

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .