RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I am divorced for 14 years. Divorce took place in ...

I am divorced for 14 years. Divorce took place in Charlotte County Fl, I currently live in North Florida the ex has moved to North Carolina. The current payments are 1300 per month. I retired 6 months ago. Never missed a payment as payments were made by auto pay from my paycheck. My income has dropped to 3500 a month before taxes. What are my options to get this reduced? Upon signing the decree did not realize the alimony said it is to be paid for life. Orignially it was to be to age 65.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question. You can apply to modify the alimony in Florida. You must complete the attached form and show change in circumstances. You may need to obtain an attorney to represent you in this matter.

You are going to have to deal and get around the fact that you signed the decree agreeing to this along with I'm assuming your attorney. You do have little to loose here and a lot to gain. I hope this gets you started and some ideas in the matter and good luck..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.