Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.

I am the temporary legal guardian for my 15 year old ...

I am the temporary legal guardian for my 15 year old grand-daughter. If she is not enrolled in school, what are the legal implecations and what is my responsibility?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

As the temporary guardian, you are responsible for your granddaughter's well being and ensuring that the best legal decisions are made for her.

Colorado state laws require Compulsory School Attendance 22-33-104. School attendance is very important in the State of Colorado. The Compulsory School Attendance Law CRS 22-33-104 mandates that every child who has attained the age of seven years and is under the age of sixteen years must attend school. Parents are usually responsible for ensuring that their children attend school regularly. However, in the absent of a parent, you (as the legal guardian) can be held legally responsible for ensuring that she attends school. Failure to ensure that she goes to school could result in you being charged with neglect or having her removed from your care.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!