Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I am married. After the wedding we bought the home ...

I am married. After the wedding we bought the home together. My question is: If something bad happens to my person, for example - if I die, can my husband sell the home? Or does he need my signature to sell the home? I think that the signature from other person is needed only when people are alive but I am not sure.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Upon your death, your signature is not required. All he would have to do is present the death certificate to amend the ownership records and then proceed with the sale.

Your signature is only required while you are alive.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research/educational use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.