RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My question concerns adoption, in particular of a adult

I have a question about adult adoption, as outlined in SS 162.501(series) of the Texas law. If the person to be adopted is a female filing for divorce and a name change is filed at the time of divorce does the name change, to the adoptive parents name, take place at the time of adoption? Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question. This appears to be two questions or there may be two situations. If you file for divorce and ask for a return to your married name this is usually granted at the time of the divorce back to maiden or whatever name you are asking.

Adoption of an adult could also result in another name change at the time of the hearing if the judge grants the adoption and the name change. Each of these type orders goes to the bureau of vital statistics-sent by the clerk of the court and I think there's a form/fee.

The result is that your name is XXXXX XXXXX on your birth certificate and in their records as well. you then need to change the other things in your life like social security, etc. They may want a certified copy of the order. I hope this answers your questions and gives you the information that you needed. Here's a web page about adult adoption

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: Actually after re-reading my question I realized I had miss worded the question. What I should have said was. In a adult adoption, can person being adopted start using the adoptive parents name even tho she is still married but in the process of a divorce? I'm sorry for the confusion. I know that this is my fault.

Thank You XXXXX

Thats o.k. If you are adopted by an adult or adults yes this is your legal name and they really should amend the petition to reflect the name change. Bureau of vital statistics records adoptions and has these on file for posterity..