How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Family Expert Your Own Question

Family Expert
Family Expert, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 Years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Family Expert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

rules of evidence

Customer Question

I have six day custody trial coming up. Plaintiffs major issue is that a year ago I was diagnosed with PTSD. Mental health records of pyschiatristinterviews were taken from my office without my permission. They plan to ask me questions on cross regarding information contained in those documents. Your expert, Michelle, told me in Jan that quiestions regarding illegally obtained evidence would be considered inadmissible. My attorney insists that the "fruit from the poisenous tree" law only applies to criminal law, not family law. I need documented clarification to use as reference/precedent if possioble. I asked for Michelle - obviously she is not available. Can anyone assist me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 7 years ago.


I can only tell you after 30 + years as a trial attorney that your attorney is correct. In a criminal trial, any evidence that is obtained BY POLICE IN A WAY THAT VIOLATES YOUR FOURTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS AGAINST UNREASONABLE SEARCHES AND SEIZURES OR YOUR 5TH AMENDMENT RIGHTS AGAINST SELF INCRIMINATION...cannot be used as evidence in on the prosecutor;s direct case. Statements that are suppressed as evidence in chief, however, could be used on cross if the defendant takes the stand in his defense.

In your case, there are no restrictions. You can be crossed on the records. Lets look at this. Arent you going to tell the truth on direct? Why should you be afraid of cross? Plus if your diagnosis is in issue, the plaintiff would have been entitled to get an authorization from you allowing him to see the records.


rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience: Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
rvlaw and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I would like another opinion.answer was incomplete. I need to know if rules of evidence change with what court you are in? My response to answer I just got is that I am not obligated to make their case for them.If questions that they ask me are based on linformation that they gained by illegally obtaining my medical records, then the questions pertaining to that information are not admissible. Doesn't matter if the documents were taken by law enforcement or private individual. No - I am not afraid of any question, but I'm certainly not going to make their case for them by giving answers to questions that they have no right to ask??!
Expert:  rvlaw replied 7 years ago.

Please read this carefully. Let me give you an example. Let's suppose you are a witness to a car accident (civil case) or a robbery (criminal) and you give a statement in writing as to what you saw. Your statement is NOT admisible as evidence in chief because it is out of court statement being offered for its truth. Let's suppose, however, that you take the stand in either case, civil or criminal, to tell what you saw. If you say something different from your written statment, YOU CAN BE CROSS EXAMINED WITH THE STATEMENT. Your statment is not going into evidence...but it being used to contradict your live testimony..See the difference?

Now in your case....first of all you don't say how the records were "illegally obtained"...they were not ILLEGALLY OBTAINED by law enforcement so that already makes a difference. As I said, they would be dicoverable by the other side anyway. And they are not being used as evidence in chief as per the example above...just to cross..THE RECORDS ARE NOT MAKING THEIR CASE. THEY SHOULD ACTUALLY MAKE YOURS TO EXPLAIN THE CONDITION. Otherwise the condition goes unexplained with no record of your having addressed it.




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not trying to rsist you nor look for an answer that I like. I need an answer that makes sense by logic. Documents were obtained when deceased wifes father ccame in with proffessional movers to move my belongings from my residence - but according to both lawyers agreement, was supposed to wait until deputy arrived (I was under restraining ordewr) so I could observe what was taken and what box it was put in. Deputy was late - moving van was loaded and left for storage area before I could observe. Big note left on my desk said not to touch my personal correspondance untillI had chance to move it myself. Smith, deceased wifes father, claims he took it because it was "in open sight" This is in their disclosure statement. Entire litigation began when I attempted to get her help through court system with her RX drug abuse. She took our son, ran home to millionaire daddy. At drug exam, basedon nothing but interview - no urine test, no hair follicle test and with supportiung false statements from father , she was found not dependant on anything. They went immediately from drug test to family court and filed false allegations against me and for divorce. She died as a result of drug abuse (methadone) before we could go to divorce court and counter/dispell all alllegations against me. Since she was living with father at time of death, they filed fpoe emergency order, and got it, to keep temp custody of my son( noe three years old) pending trial for full custody. Two weeks ago, at a pre trial hearing, judge told their lawyer to advise his clients tha "..if that's all you have you will lose..' trial sometime in jul - no date set yet. I'm trying to cover all the bases - I'm a retired USMC MSgt living on retirement and a VA disability award, up against a hbusband/wife team ( both are shrinks) with a 5 figure annual income and subsequently a team of high priced lawyers. I need all the legal advantage that I can get. I find it difficult to believe that I will be required to answer questions based on information that they would not have if they had not stolen my records. Please tell me - where amm I wrong??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just read your response again - this is follow up. I checked with the pyschiatris whose report they took. He informed me that if he were in private practice, he would have to honor subpoena and give them information. BUT - he is under contract to the VA -THe VA has policy NOT to be involved in family court cases and would not condone my records being gived for that purpose and it is a federal entity and does not have to respond to state family court subpoenas. All those records leading to my disability award belong to me and the VA - and would need consent of either of us to be made public. I'm not trying to be difficult here - I just need to understand...
Expert:  Family Expert replied 7 years ago.

I'm only jumping in because it said "second opinion" required. AS I understand this, you are involved in a "custody" hearing - that means a judge has to decide whether you get custody of a minor, right? The judge has the power to say no to you,or yes to you, right? So, what is the judge thinking? He's thinking is the child going to be safe with him - is giving the child to him in the "child's best best interest"? If you have a hisotry of mentalproblems or issues that evidence is relevant and the judge is going to want to know about it and consider it. It does not mean, automatically, that you lose.

Records stolen from you or obtained in vilation of your rights are not "automatically" going to be excluded by the judge in a "civil" case - so, turn your attention to winning the case "on the merits", so to speak. That means think, how can I convince the judge that the child should be with me, even though I have received this treatment from the V.A.?

What about asking the V.A. doc to take time off and come to court for you? What about asking the judge to appoint an independent physician to examine you (and the other side too) and make a report to the court on who is in the best mental health to care for this child?

Stay calm in this storm, and think about what you need to do to win!

All the best,


Family Expert, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience: 25 Years
Family Expert and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No history of mental illness. PTSD limited to bad dreams, flashbacks, sometimes inability to sleep. 'Nothing violent or can be4 considered harmful to minor child. Have statements and will have testimopny from director of Mental Health, US Naval Hosp, Beaufort and two Va pyschiatrist as well as my family doctor that my health should not nbe an issue.
    If I can get it established that a PTSD diagnosis , by itself, does not warrant a veteran to lose custody of his child, won't that make all the information contained in reports leading up to that diagnosis moot? My PTSD is result of 33 moths in combat zone and events that took place in that setting
Expert:  rvlaw replied 7 years ago.

Hope you are satisfied with the second opinion. Good luck


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: