Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

How do I collect on back child support from the IRS

Upon my divorce I was told that my x husbands back child support would be garnished from his income tax returns. In the past two years nothing has been garnished. What do i do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

DCF must file for the tax write off. If they fail to do so then the IRS will not deduct the money from his tax's. Also if he has no refund then they can not take the money from him. He may be claiming more on his tax forms to prevent much being taken out of his checks so he has little or no refund at the end of the year.

You will want to go to the DCF and make a appointment to find out why there is no refund.