Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

I owe 18,000 in back childd support. I inherited a small ...

I owe 18,000 in back child support. I inherited a small business that has some assets but it is also my means for earning income. I have paid down my debt by $5000 in the last few months. But I am afraid Child support will take the assets of my company , which will make it dificult to earn a living. What are the boundaries for what they can seize if I am making more than the minimum payments? and what are the limits for seizing things that make it possible to earn the money to continue paying child suport
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

When you are in arrears they can enforce all legal rights to taking assets. The good news is if you are paying on the arrears seldom do they even look for assets let alone seize them. If they do try and seize them you can explain to the judge that this is needed to preform your business duties and if they are seized you can no longer pay the arrears.

At the end of the day it is up to the judge, but most courts prefer to leave assets alone that will be used to pay the child support arrears.