Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

Can a 16 year old move out of parents home without parental ...

Customer Question

Can a 16 year old move out of parents home without parental consent under the NC State Statutes?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

That would be 18 years of age for emancipation from ones parent in North Carolina this would include moving out. He must be 18 to legally move from his parents property unless he gets emancipated by a court of law which isn't easy to do. He would need to petition the courts for emancipation and if his parents do not consent it is unlikely this would be approved.

You are still legally responsible for him until he is 18. If he leaves and you fail to report him as a run away you can be held liable for any actions and for any incidents he has. Should he become hurt while away you could be charged with neglect as well.

Here is a link with further information on the subject:

Emancipation of Minors - All US States

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told by a friend that someone in her family was able to move out w/o the emancipation process approx 2 years ago; that the 'rule of thumb' was that the 16-yr-old must inform parent(s) he is leaving & not run away - that a youngster cannot be "forced to liv with parent(s)" after the age of 16; but, said parent(s)can still be "held accountable" for the teenager's behavior (i.e. vandalism). My granddaughter has been told similar stories by a few friends.
Can you enlighten us any further?
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry, it sounds like you have been misinformed. The parent can give the child permission to live somewhere else but the parent is still liable for the actions of the child. The state can also still step in and file neglect charges on the parent if they feel the child is doing without while living away from home.

Often these little stories circulate from different stories such as this. There is no law that allows a child to leave his parents home without permission in the state of North Carolina.

Walter