How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Expert Your Own Question
Family Expert
Family Expert, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 Years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Family Expert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know the law in the state of michigan ...

Resolved Question:

I would like to know the law in the state of michigan on a 17 year old wanting to move out or running away from home, is ther anything a parent can do to stop this? If not is the parent still responsible for the child?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Expert replied 9 years ago.

Children do not become emancipated in Michigan until age 18. Before that a Court can emancipate the child as follows:



(c) That the minor is a resident of the state.

(d) That the minor has demonstrated the ability to manage his or her financial affairs, including proof of employment or other means of support. ?Other means of support? does not include general assistance or aid to families with dependent children administered under the social welfare act, Act No. 280 of the Public Acts of 1939, being sections 400.1 to 400.121 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(e) That the minor has the ability to manage his or her personal and social affairs, including, but not limited to, proof of housing.

(f) That the minor understands his or her rights and responsibilities under this act as an emancipated minor.

You can report your child to Michigan Child Services 1-800-292-2550 and get their advice on how to proceed - they will advise you on going to court to get an order addressed to your child to behave at home and take your direction. All the best,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I was told at age of 17 that they are considered an adult and they can move ouy without parent permission, that the parent does not have a say in the matter. that at seventeen they no longer need to get emancipated, Is this the law in michigan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I Am still waiting for an answer to my question on a17 year old moving out, If this is in fact the law, and if the parent is still responsible for the child. the first answer you gave,I did not accept because it did not answer my question on 17 yr.olds, so I replied to your answer and am awaiting for your answer, Or do I have to pay again to get my first question answered?
Expert:  Family Expert replied 9 years ago.
Michigan law allows you to go to court for an order on a wayward child only if the child is under 17. So it looks like you cannot force him to come home. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am still waiting on the second part of my question, am I still responsible or held accouttable for my child, if she is considered an adult,in the state of Michigan,old enough to move out.
Expert:  Family Expert replied 9 years ago.

17-Year-Olds Moving Out in MI


Generally speaking, a 17-year-old cannot leave home in Michigan. The age of majority in Michigan is 18.

You can move out at 17 if you have parental permission or if you've been emancipated. I *believe* that one of the requirements for emancipation in Michigan is that the minor's parents do not object to the emancipation, or if they do object that they are failing to provide the minor with support.

Michigan's Runaway and Homeless Youth Act gives police the power to take a minor into custody and remand them to a juvenile facility until a court hearing.

Here is more input:

  • The legal age of majority is 18. So, in most circumstances, unless you are emancipated you will not be able to move out at 17.
  • The age of majority in Michigan is 18. Anyone under the age of 18 is a minor, and their parents have the right to determine where they live. If you leave home at 17 without parental permission or being emancipated in some manner (marriage, court order, etc), then your parents can report you to the police as runaway.
  • Michigan has a similar confusng statute as does Missouri and other states. The legal age of majority is 18, but the Juvenile Code defines an "adult" as being anyone who is the age of seventeen. The "17" designation refers to judicial proceedings only, it indicates when a person of at least that age can be prosecuted as an adult for specified offenses. In addition, the state participates in AMBER ALERT where state law specifies a "child" (not a minor) as being under the age of 17. There is a difference, a minor is someone under the age of 18-years, a child for the application of the state abduction and missing child laws is designated as being under the age of 17-years. The misinterpretation of the laws is what led to the passing of the Michigan Runaway and Homeless Child Act.
Family Expert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you