Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I have been married for 27 years. We have 2 children that ...

Customer Question

I have been married for 27 years. We have 2 children that are grown & on their own. I am disabled with an unusual nerve damage issue & draw $866 a month in SSDI. My husband has cheated on me & now wants a divorce and wnats me to find another home. How much alimony am I entitled to? We live in Ky.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank youCustomerfor your question.

In Kentucky spousal support is not automatic and does not depend on the number of years you have been married. The law will award a support amount if you can demonstrate that you are in need of financial support. The length of marriage will only be used to determine whether the amount of spousal support will be a permanent amount or temporary amount.

Unlike child support, spousal support does not have any guidelines as how it is calculated. It is all based on the evidence you present to justify why you need a certain amount of spousal support.

Now given that you are disabled with nerve damage is sufficient to show that you do qualify for support. Given that you are married for 27 years, that can result in a permanent order of spousal support. How much would depend on how much you would need a month to live on, who will be taking more of the marital assets and how much income your spouse is earning.

You can review the KY law on how spousal support is calculated here.

So to determine a fair amount, you need to sit down and consider what your daily, weekly or monthly expense are, and how much you need to make ends meet. Again spousal support is based on what evidence you present to show financial need.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.