How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a older sister (age 21) take over gardian rights of a ...

Resolved Question:

Can a older sister (age 21) take over gardian rights of a sixteen year old brother without getting the younger brother involved in all the court legalites?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


It would need to be approved by the court to be legal. While you can take the child with just a notarized letter from mom if anyone calls you on it such as the school DMV or doctor you would have to prove you either had custody or guardianship over the child.

For this reason it makes it easier to get it done now then to wait until someone requests it. A lawyer can draw up the forms quickly and submit them to the courts for approval. If no one is contesting the guardianship it is likely your request would be approved as long as it is a safe home environment and there is no reason why it would not be in the best interest of the child.

If you would rather go without a lawyer you can go to your local law library and pick up guardianship forms. Sometimes these are also available on line to be purchased as well. Fill them forms out and submit them to the clerk of courts office with the filing fee's and the clerk will get a hearing set up where you can plead your case for guardianship or custody.

I wish you the best,


Walter and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you