Leslie D.
Leslie D., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience in family law, abuse and assault victim advocate
8605905

i live in Michigan. I am currently the custodial parent.

i live in Michigan. I am currently the custodial parent. I want to take my children to Hawaii. My soon to be ex husband does not want them to go. Can he stop me from taking them on this vacation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 8 years ago.

- Will the vacation interfere with his visitaion rights? How long will the vacation last?

Thanks,

Leslie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He will miss 9.5 hours of parenting time which will be made up upon the children's return. the vacation will last 8 days, this includes travel time.
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 8 years ago.

Normally, slight deviations from the visitation schedule are okay if both parties accept them. In this case, it sounds like you have tried to make sure that even if you go on vacation, your ex will still get the same amount of visiation with the kids. If he does not agree to this, he could object to the vacation, but since you are willing to work with him to make up the visitation time, it's unlikely that the court will force you to stay home, unless the make-up time is very inconvenient for him or unless he has some other valid reason for objecting to the visitation. If he is just objecting to be difficult, it's pretty unlikely that the court will force you to stay home.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so that I may receive credit for my answer.

Thanks,

Leslie