dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer

Is is possible to settle a child support balance for 1/2

I live in NYS and I want to know if I could pay 1/2 of what I owe in arrears and close the child support case? Is that possible?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

Yes, that is possible, especially if the support is owed to the other parent, and not the state for past public assistance paid. Either way, though, it is possible. If the other parent is using the Child Support Enforcement, you can approach them with a figure and try to "make a deal" for a lessor amount. Usually, it has to be in a lump sum to settle it and close the case. I would treat this like any other negotiation. Start out at a lower amount and then compromise, if necessary.

If you have to settle directly with your ex, the same thing applies. Try to offer a lower amount, and make it a lump sum offer. This agreement with half to be approved by a judge, but if both parties agree, any judge will approve the deal.

I hope this is helpful to you.