Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
7902899

How do I go about obtaining sole custody of my child The ...

Customer Question

How do I go about obtaining sole custody of my child? The father is in and out of her life all the time and has been recently awarded not to pay child support (which he never did in the first place) only when we would get ready to go back to court.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.

To obtain sole custody you will need to file a petition for sole custody with the court that originally issued any sort of custody decree or child support order.

You can file this yourself or get an attorney to file it for you. In the petition you will need to explain to the court the reasons that you want sole custody.

Jennifer