Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I am going thruough a divorce. I hired a Private ...

I am going thruough a divorce. I hired a Private Investigator and he captured having lunch and going to a couple diffrent places. The PI was getting to expensive so I had my brother follow her and video record her a couple times. Is it legal what my brother did and can it be used in court?   I also personally placed voice recorders in my home to capture her conversations and know what was really going on. From this recordings I know for a fact that she is having an affair. Are these recordings ilegal since she was not aware of them?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
What state are you from?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Washington State
Thank you for your response.

Washington is an "all party" state
, which means that consent of all parties is required before you can legally record someone's conversation. It is a gross misdemeanor to record conversation with the other parties consent and such evidence can be excluded in your divorce proceeding for being unlawfully obtained.

So the recording are illegal and cannot be used.

The video taping would be the same, except that it is not against the law to video tape someone who is out in public as there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. You can only video tape someone in a public place but will require their consent if the recording is in a place where this person expects a reasonable degree of privacy.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

I have answered your question, please let me know if you need further help here. Thanks.