How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas right now but am relocating to Michigan to ...

Customer Question

I live in Texas right now but am relocating to Michigan to be with my family. My husband and I are getting a divorce and we have an unborn child. He was just discharged from the Army for abuse of over the counter drugs and spent 30 days in a rehab facility but is still using. I feel it''s unsafe for my child to have visitation with him once the child is born. What can I do???
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Since you are married, he will be permitted to request visitation rights to the child. Since he was discharged due to abuse of drugs this is something you will want to bring up in court when you request no visitation. In the end it is up to the judge. The judge can order no visitation or supervised visitation until he has undergone a treatment plan and is no longer busing drugs.

I would not suggest you go this alone based on the issues the father is having. Consider contacting a lawyer to represent you in this matter.