Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I had a baby last month, and my mother informed ...

I had a baby last month, and my mother informed the possible father. He took a paternity test by his own choosing, and he is not the father. Now he wants me to pay for the test. I told him from the beginning that I didn''t expect anything from him, father or not. Believe it or not I did not even know that I was pregnant.   I had no prenatal care or anything....went snowboarding 5 days before delivery..The baby is 100% healthy and I just want to go on with my life...but I don''t think I should have to pay for a test that I did not even request.   Now he wants to take me to small claims court...What should I do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank youCustomerfor your question.

The person who requests the paternity test is responsible for its costs unless there was a written or verbal agreement that you would be responsible. So if you did not agree for him to take the test, nor agreed to be responsible for the test, then you are not responsible for the costs he voluntarily incurred.

If he sues you in small claims court, he bears the burden of proof to establish that there was an agreement. If he files a complaint, request that it be dismissed for failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

So mother is not responsible if she did not agree to be responsible.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.