Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
7902899

I was divorced 4 1/2 yrs ago in mahoning county, ohio.

I was divorced 4 1/2 yrs ago in mahoning county, ohio. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my ex-husband''s house as a cosigner. He was supposed to refinance or sell the house to get my name off. Unfortunately, he never did. When I asked him when he was planning on doin so he said in 30 years when the mortgage is paid off. What are my legal rights and what can I do in this situation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.

Legally, if the divorce agreement stated that your name would be removed, he must do this now not 30 years from now. To get this enforced, you will need to file a notice of contempt with the court that issued your divorce. A judge will then order that the house be refinanced or sold as agreed upon previously.

Since your ex is in contempt, you can also ask that he pay your attorney fees for having to bring this case to court.

Please don't forget to ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my time.

Jennifer