Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

What is the State of Washington law I have been ...

Customer Question

What is the State of Washington law? I have been married for 16 years, been separated (not legally) but during my marriage my husband purchased a commercial property, and two homes but then sold them without telling me. He actually purchased both the homes without even telling me too. Right before we separated, we had a great opportunity to purchase the family home we were living in, but he chose not too. I had my two children from my first marriage (their father passed way) and since then we have been renting ever since. That was in the year 1994. Of the two homes that he purchased without telling me, he sold them and I never got any of the proceeds. I also have never gotten spousal support. So, I am asking what are my rights as the wife who needs spousal support and also who was never given money from this sales?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

In order to have received any profit from the purchase or sale of property you would need to file for a legal separation. As long as you were together (Or apart with no legal agreement) he has the right to do what ever he chooses with assets.

As far as spousal support that is the same are not going to receive any support until you take this to court and request it. Since finances are a issue consider calling legal aid for assistance. They can help you file for a petition for support if you are eligible. In the end it is up to the judge.

I wish you the best,