Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

if soul permanet custody is given to another parent what ...

if soul permanet custody is given to another parent what are the possibilities that the 1st party acn obtain custody again
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Unless the other parent agrees to transfer sole custody over to you, the only way you can obtain a change in the custody orders would be by petitioning the court for a modification. In New York you must have evidence of a change in circumstances which is affecting the child's best interests before the judge will allow a modification hearing. A change in circumstances would be anything which is affecting the child's best interest; such as the parent is unfit to meet the child's daily needs, the child is being exposed to abuse, neglect or a substantial risk of harm.

So unless you can get the other parent to agree to a change in custody, you will need to have good cause to petition the court for a modification or else the court will not grant a transfer of custody.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.