Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Palimony laws in Oregon

Man and woman lived together for 18 years. Both contributed to household. Woman asked man to leave because of differences. Man continued to provide financial suppport, although living elsewhere. Man wants to stop paying. What is the risk?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Thank youCustomerfor your question.

Unless there has been a written agreement that you will become financially responsible for this person in the event of a break up, you are not legally responsible to this person. Oregon does not recognize any amount of cohabitation as being a common law marriage, whereby she could assert legal rights as a common law spouse.

The only way you can be made responsible would be if she can produce evidence of an agreement that you would be responsible for her support. Absent any evidence of this obligation, you are not subject to any risk of paying palimony.

In general palimony is based on a contractual obligation and living together alone does not raise the assumption that you will be financially responsible because as stated, Oregon does not recognize common law marriages.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Excellent service. I need to change my card number so that I can pay you. Richard Price
Let me let our moderators know that you need to update your account. They should be with you shortly.